Thursday 12 April 2012

NaPoWriMo Day 12

Isn't it great that so many people have joined up to this self discipline?  I'd just be lazing around the house, watching daytime tele and wondering whether to have KFC or pizza for dinner - I wish.  However, I look forward to opening up the NaPoWriMo site and seeing what the next prompt is, although I have to confess that I am ignoring the one for today, but I have treid to keep the basic theme.


Day 12 - Prompt: take a poem (in a foreign language and attempt phonic translation, or something similar)


Learning a Language

I’m not good with foreign languages
I think it’s those guttural sounds
So, for me, today’s poetry prompt
Is well and truly out of bounds

It’s not that I don’t like foreigners
And I love different foods, and sun
But when it comes to speaking the lingo
Well, I just don’t know how it’s done

At school we had lessons in German
But I’ve only ever been to France
So my counting and short conversation
Was never really given a chance

I’ve tried the CDs and earphones
I quite fancied Afrikanns
But that’s really guttural and Dutch like
So I ‘d have to depend on my charms

I’m British so I just look helpless
Shrug my shoulders a couple of times
Shout ‘cos I think that’s helpful
And if that fails, well I’d mime

No comments:

Post a Comment