Wednesday 11 April 2012

NaPoWriMo Days 9, 10 and 11

I'm not keeping as up to date as I would like, but I am managing to follow the prompts this year.  Anyway, here are my latest offerings:



Day 9 – prompt : Persona Poem

A wedding is announced

I don’t want to complain but it’s always the same,
Me doing all the jobs.
They just couldn’t care and it’s really not fair
They’re useless, uncaring, they’re slobs.
Oh Daddy dear why don’t you hear
They’re spiteful and I really miss mum
That woman is awful and I know that’s is lawful
But she’s only a nasty step-mum.
She dotes on her darlings
(they’re puffed up like starlings)
She bought them new clothes for a ball
She told me to stay, I’d just get in the way
Said I couldn’t go at all.
But fairy godmother came, said what a shame
That I had to stay home alone
She used magic powers and, for a few hours,
I went to the ball on my own.
All went to plan and I met a young man
He’s a prince and a jolly nice fella
Says I’m the love of his life, wants me for his wife
Yes me, little Cinderella.

Day 10 – prompt:  steal a first line from another poet

(Pam Ayres – The Harvest Hymn – first line only!)

Give thanks for the Harvest

All is safely gathered in, the barns are full of grain
Nature now can take a rest and leave off chucking rain
Last year it was hosepipe bans, this year too much water
My house is falling down ‘cos you’ve washed away the mortar

Geraniums did tempt me and I grew them by the score
Uprights and the trailing ones, I had them by the door
But when you summoned rain clouds to dampen earth’s dry land
I think you laid it on too much and things got out of hand

For now my garden’s flooded, in fact, it’s more a stream
With only mud and puddles so I’ll have to change the theme
I wanted plants with colour, red, spicy, orange hot
But you had other plans for me, a water feature’s what I’ve got.

I give thee thanks for harvest time and food to feed us all
And answering last year’s prayers for water when you got the call
But now we’ve had a deluge, it’s brought on my sciatica
Please collect your rain clouds and bung them over Africa.

Day 11 - prompt: use all five senses

Jack Frost 

I heard him cracking at the window
fingers scratching to get in
And watched as his etched his message
In patterns too intricate to copy

As I opened the door he morphed into
Vapour as gentle as a baby’s breath
Covering me with the icy chill
floating in the ether

His smell, caught in my nostrils,
Then froze in my throat
I tasted dampness
And decades past






No comments:

Post a Comment